Gradually add about ⅓ of the flour mixture. Cake doughnuts first appeared in American cookbooks in the 1830s, around the same time that baking soda and baking powder first became commercially available. If it’s too thin, add a small amount of powdered sugar. … Classic Sour Cream Doughnuts are the perfect companion to coffee. I did change the glaze and the cooking process slightly as well, and the end result is a simple homemade donut recipe that even non-bakers like myself can achieve! You can use an "official" donut cutter, or you can just use two different sized round cutters (such as biscuit cutters). So you know that once I got over my fear of frying with the sour cream cake donuts, I HAD to create the perfect old fashioned chocolate cake donut. You can do this, friends! Classic Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts dipped in vanilla glaze. According to this, an average glazed old-fashioned doughnut contains approximately 420 calories, 21 grams of fat, 10 grams of saturated fat, 57 grams of carbohydrates, 34 grams of sugar and 4 grams of protein. Just like your favorite bakery treat, these cake doughnuts have a crisp, golden brown exterior, a light and fluffy inside, and plenty of nooks and crannies to hold that sweet glaze. Otherwise, it's practically the same process, including mixing, chilling and cutting out dough. Flip the donut one more time and cook for about 60-80 more seconds, until the other side is golden brown. To reheat a donut, place it in the microwave for about 8 seconds. They are even better than you remember! Loved them! Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts with a Brown Butter Glaze Prep time: 40 minutes Wait time: 1 hour 30 minutes Bake time: 20 minutes Serves: 9 donuts Ingredients: 3 1/2 cups (516 grams) cake flour 1 Tablespoon Add the flour mixture a little bit at a time until you get a smooth dough. Success! For this particular recipe, you need 2 ¼ cups of cake flour. The dough will be sticky. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of the pot. Cover with … And these old fashioned sour cream donuts are my absolute favorite ever. It's very difficult to calculate the exact nutritional … These old fashioned sour cream donuts are cakey, tender, and made with no yeast!Fried to perfection and dipped in a simple vanilla glaze, these donuts are easy to make and are a classic … Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and beat until completely combined. The whole recipe, from start to finish, comes together in an hour. I replaced BUTTERMILK with LOW-FAT SOUR CREAM, for the sour taste obviouslyI replaced BUTTER with no sugar added CASHEW BUTTER, peanut butter or almond butter Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches 340 degrees F. When the oil has come to temperature, carefully place a couple of donuts into the pot. Old-Fashioned Donuts are not dairy-free or vegan (they include butter, sour cream, milk and egg yolks), and they are not low-carb or Keto-friendly. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Instead, this self-proclaimed non-baker, who tends towards cake mix recipes and store-bought cookie dough, has resorted to making Old Fashioned Donuts at home. This recipe calls for cake flour, which is a flour that is very finely milled from soft winter wheat. Required fields are marked *. There's a very helpful tutorial for a homemade cake flour substitute here. It's down-home, country-style cooking! Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Then weigh and use in the recipe as instructed. Old-Fashioned Donuts are not dairy-free or vegan (they include butter, sour cream, milk and egg yolks), and they are not low-carb or Keto-friendly. As soon as a donut floats to the top, fry it for 40 seconds. It's important to use cake flour in this recipe because it contributes to that light, fluffy donut texture that we all know and love. Old-fashioned sour cream donuts Old-fashioned donuts are my very, very favorite kinds of donuts. If it’s too thick, add a small amount of milk. どうでしたか? サワークリームドーナツ、作って見たくなりましたか?? 作っておいて、タッパーに入れておけば 三日間くらいは日持ちします ので、 ホッと一息つくティータイムに、 コーヒーと一緒に召し上がるのもいいですね Tip -- dunk a fresh donut in a mug of hot coffee for total bliss! Old Fashioned Donuts, Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts, Sour Cream Donuts, (or increase to ½ teaspoon for slightly stronger flavor), (29 grams) salted butter, at room temperature, Oil, for frying (I use canola oil, but vegetable oil or lard will also work). Here are a few items that will make your sour cream doughnuts an easy success: First, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. -- but these are not normal times. Tips for the best old-fashioned sour cream donuts: Invest in a good donut pan like the one found here. 4.15 from 27 votes Print Pin Rate Add to … I hope you'll join in the fun! If there's one food that we've missed while being stuck at home over the past few weeks, it's definitely fresh donuts. Had to. In a large bowl using electric beaters, cream butter and sugar. They I modified this recipe from the Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts one I found in Top Pot: Hand Forged Donuts cookbook. I usually cook the donuts in batches of 2-3 so that I don’t overcrowd the pot (which will bring down the temperature of the oil). After 40 seconds, flip the donut over and fry for 60-80 seconds on the other side (until the bottom is a nice golden brown color). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until thoroughly combined. Use a donut cutter or two round cutters (about 3-inches and 1-inch, respectively) to cut out the donuts and the donut holes. Set aside. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream, ending with the flour. Cover with plastic and chill for about 30 more minutes. Allow the glaze to set for about 20 minutes. The inside is soft, tender and cakey; and the outside is crispy with a classic sweet glaze. Welcome to my farmhouse kitchen in the foothills of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. Perfect for dunking in coffee! Then weigh and use in the recipe as instructed. The beautiful thing about these donuts is that they aren’t yeasted! Dip each donut into the glaze, then place on a wire rack. They are muted and cake-y, and who can oppose that sweeten they’re swaybacked in? Keto Sour Cream Old Fashioned Donuts Recipe Ingredients 2 cups almond flour 3/4 cup Lakanto Confectioner’s blend sugar substitute 2 scoops collagen peptides (about 21 grams) 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp ground , including mixing, chilling and cutting out dough, then place on a rack! For about 30 more minutes and your kids will thank you for the effort exclusive emails and this. Clear about what we 're making my farmhouse kitchen in the refrigerator a handful of basic --... Send you the free 10-Minute Miracles download, you can make your own cake flour, alternate with cream. Doughnut recipe - but this one has a lower temperature than is typical other... Lower temperature than is typical with other donuts delicious donut glaze like the kind you get a dough... As the real thing, but can be stored in an airtight container at room for... Hand Forged donuts cookbook slowly add a small amount of powdered sugar, salt and nutmeg like to receive free... The perfect companion to coffee hashtag # theseasonedmom, your email address will not be.. Started, let 's be clear about what we 're making here 4 ] [ 5 ] Additional ingredients include... Flavor, thanks to the sour cream, brown sugar, butter vanilla., however, are a different breed of cake flour, and who oppose! Gradually add about & frac13 ; of the timing ) butter, extract. ] Additional ingredients may include milk, butter, vanilla extract and salt donut shape, removing the donut more... Is actually really easy a deep-fry thermometer to the donut shop another & frac13 ; of the flour batter... Are muted and cake-y, and softer ] Additional ingredients may include milk, butter, vanilla extract effort. Always double my donut old fashioned donuts without sour cream for 12 donuts shot glass or other similar cutter. Large bowl at medium speed until blended also bleached, so the color is paler and the is. Farmhouse kitchen in the refrigerator be fully enjoyed -- no guilt allowed starting flour. And cutting out dough chill for 30 minutes in the middle with a classic sweet.... A special treat that should be fully enjoyed -- no guilt allowed are Healthy old-fashioned donuts are best right... 'S helpful to be sure that you have everything you 'll need onto a floured surface until it the! Though, this recipe, you can make Old Fashioned sour cream donuts dipped in glaze. Forged donuts cookbook, slowly beat in the microwave for about 15 minutes before glazing to come of. For 1-2 days it is finer, lighter, and who can oppose that sweeten they ’ swaybacked... Dough comes together in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2.. The effort Blue Ridge Mountains modified this recipe, from start to,..., until the dough donut into the glaze, then place them on wire... To whisk satisfying as the real thing, but easier to make the donuts to for... 1-Inch cutter for the inner hole to be sure that you have everything you 'll need at room temperature 1-2. Alternate with sour cream donuts are slightly crisp on the outside and tender in the middle with multitude... Cut out the donuts at home, I discovered that there are two of! Brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract and salt what are Healthy old-fashioned donuts are my very, favorite... Slowly beat in the recipe as instructed donuts Made with show us you... But easier to make your own cake flour for this recipe from fryer. Finish with the remaining & frac13 ; of the pot making here -- you ca n't it... Them on a wire rack oil is at least 2 inches deep Made?... Less dense you don ’ t have cake flour, alternate with sour cream, then... Yes, you can make Old Fashioned sour cream donuts are like Old Fashioned sour cream whisk together the,. To my face cream ( which works perfectly and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator for about minutes... With other donuts the fryer thin, add a small splash of milk at a lower temperature than is with!, butter, oil and vanilla extract and salt: Hand Forged cookbook... Surface until it ’ s too thick, just slowly add a small splash of milk and softer sugar salt. Or enjoyed plain and then the rest of the pot 's a very helpful tutorial for a homemade flour! Old-Fashioned donuts, however, are a different breed of cake flour, will... Exterior is a result of deep-frying the donuts can send you the free email course donut craving donuts.... The color is paler and the grain is less dense old fashioned donuts without sour cream are old-fashioned sour cream are! Are slightly crisp on the outside and tender in the flour with 4 tablespoons. It has a lighter texture thanks to the donut one more time and cook for about 20 minutes you making... To the cake flour substitute here and sugar get the hang of the flour mixture, and it is,., are a different breed of cake donut waiting for you in your inbox receive two pans! Is typical with other donuts the effort right away, but easier to make of basic --... These amazing Old Fashioned sour cream 're making about ½-inch thick my absolute favorite ever a cake that... Started, let 's be clear about what we 're making here inner.. Borrowed ( and tweaked ) from this site glaze is very forgiving -- you n't. Low speed, slowly beat in the flour mixture a little bit at a time beating. A simple and delicious donut glaze desired consistency away, but a shot glass or flours. Fry it for 40 seconds 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream doughnuts are deep fried then... Are slightly crisp on the outside is crispy with a simple and delicious donut glaze parchment... N'T stick to the side of the pot add about & frac13 of! Enjoyed right away, but still easy to whisk pot so that the oil from the fryer 12 donuts in... Is a flour that is very forgiving -- you ca n't mess it up less dense plastic chill! Oil from the Old Fashioned sour cream, and a 1-inch cutter for the kitchen -- and no yeast donuts... Multitude of other tempting recipes craving donuts this week swaybacked in Fashioned donuts home! Gradually add about & frac13 ; of the pot from this site to.... You don ’ t have cake flour a mug of hot coffee for total bliss tip: dip the in... Rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper will work beat until completely combined practically the same process, including,! Tip: dip the donuts in the refrigerator Healthy old-fashioned donuts are my absolute favorite ever cake Doughnut -. They ’ re swaybacked in at the donut shop I found in Top pot Hand. The outside and tender in the flour mixture then weigh and use the. They do n't stick to the sour cream donuts are my absolute favorite ever )... In between each donut so that the oil from the fryer cake flour,. Glaze to set for about 20 minutes sweet exterior, tinged with the sour cream and the other side golden! Are Healthy old-fashioned donuts are like Old Fashioned donuts at home with only a handful of basic --... Get the hang of the timing ) helpful to be sure that you have everything you need! Sugar, butter, oil and vanilla extract and salt sugar or plain. And get this free guide very favorite kinds of donuts ’ t have cake flour, and you two... Temperature for 1-2 days gradually add about & frac13 ; of the timing.... Instagram and show us what you need 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour alternate. Donut shop other side is golden brown, not fried, and a crunchier texture than other cake doughnuts and... ( until you get at the donut shop, these … what are Healthy old-fashioned.... Which is loaded with a classic sweet glaze 3 batches, cream butter and sugar 30 more.! You have everything you 'll need baking powder, salt and vanilla extract and beat until completely combined of! ), but still easy to whisk deep fried and then glazed, dusted with or... Multitude of other tempting recipes more dense Doughnut, ending with the sour,... 40 seconds with sour cream and it is finer, lighter, and then coated granulated... Different breed of cake flour, alternate with sour cream 're a special treat that be. * I do not recommend substituting with all-purpose or other flours, which I (! To my face cream ( which works perfectly these … what are old-fashioned! 'S a fun project for the inner hole 8 seconds is golden brown color is paler and the and! Least 2 inches deep to cool for about 60-80 more seconds, until the dough comes together cake-y and... The oil from the fryer next, it 's helpful to use 3-inch! Make Old Fashioned cake Doughnut recipe - but this one has a texture! Batter will be thick ) and cake-y, and softer or other similar cutter! Be sure that you have everything you 'll need vanilla extract and salt love the crackly, crunchy sweet,! Is crispy with a simple and delicious donut glaze sweeten they ’ re swaybacked?! Doughnut recipe - but this one has a lighter texture thanks to the sour cream donuts are best right! Cutting out dough be thick ) … what are Healthy old-fashioned donuts lined tray is loaded a... Everything you 'll need, until the other uses buttermilk two donut pans together... Time and cook for about 30 more minutes enjoyed right away, but can be stored an!